Rogues may polish gems to increase their grade and value. All classes will need something polished at some point so it's handy to know how and be able to save some gold. Gem Polishing costs Labor
Gems have 4 different grades:
Fragment -> Uncut -> Flawed -> Finished
The Beryl, Ruby and Coral Purchased from the Black Market
will always be Fragments.
Gems found from creatures can vary in grade. Make sure to identify the gem to find it's cut.
Before you start you will need to figure out what you are doing. If you aren't experienced you should seperate the gems you aren't about to polish because the most valuable gem is chosen by default.
There are two different options when polishing:
With an Assistant
- This will increase a gem's grade by 2 if successful. The gem will not be destroyed if unsuccessful.
- This will increase a gem's grade by 1 if successful. The gem will be destroyed if unsuccessful.
These are the easiest ways to make each gem:
Making Uncut Gems
- Polish alone, make sure you only have fragments on you. Once a gem is polished re-identify it and remove it from your inventory so it doesn't get polished any further.
Making Flawed Gems
- Polish with an assistant, Make sure you only have fragments on you. Once a gem is polished re-identify it and remove it from your inventory so it doesn't get polished any further.
Making Finished Gems
- Simply polish with an assistant until you run out of unfinished gems.
Now that you know how it works you can cast the spell "Gem Polishing" and drop a single coin below you to start the process.
You will frequently get stuck whilst polishing. Simply re-log to fix it. I always use the Banker in Piet so I can polish as fast as I wish without getting stuck. There is also a bank here so it's convenient for depositing gems by adding "I will deposit uncut ruby" (or whichever gem name) your assail line.
When you successfully polish with an assistant it will always improve 2 grades. If you have a Flawed gem it will apply the first improve to make that one Finished. It will then select the next highest value gem in your inventory and apply the second improve to that.
Keep it easy and don't try to polish multiple gem types and grades in the same inventory. Gem polishing will always choose the highest value gem so this can cause problems.
© www.vorlof.com 2010-2018.